Monday, April 18, 2005

Why

The last time I returned from a trip, I made a decision: From now on, travel will be more involved such that the trips are not only focused on fun and relaxation, but rather to truly explore the world by doing something and contributing in a way other than spending american dollars.

As such, this trip to Cambodia is focused on a project - working through a burn hospital and teaching scar massage to one or two individuals who will be able to provide at least some post-operative therapy to burn victims. The work will also involve treatment provision. I leave May 11th and will be in the region for 3 months.

As I travel from one world to the next, embark on a solo trip (a very first in my life), and contemplate how to actually do this (teach, live and treat in a place such as Cambodia), I've decided to keep a log. I would like to be able to share this experience - although I'm not sure exactly what I will be sharing. However, the process of writing makes me stop long enough to process what I'm involved with directly and indirectly - so it goes beyond being a passive observer to realizing that there is impact from being present.

No comments: